Why

sevag sev at SPAMcyberia.net.lb
Sat Jun 17 01:00:43 MDT 2000

Dear Commrades:
    I am thrilled to see the level of interest and understanding in the
posts and i hope we'll have more feeback from our Commrades from Latin
America on Lebanon, specially that the societies of the 3rd world are not
that different from each other.
    Imperialism is not just a phase that a country passes through, nor is it
something that fades away when imperilaism as a direct military control over
the 3rd world ends. It remains in the culture and institutions of the 3rd
world society, thereby not having any geographical location or boundaries.
    What i mean is that there should be such cultural divergence or
contradictions in other 3rd world countries caused and brought to the
surface by imperialism and which still shapes the behavior of these
societies world wide.
    In the Lebanese context this traditionalism is mainly identified on
secterian divisions but more importantly on specific classes within each
sect. These classes true that they are the monopolizers of the political
system in Lebanon, but they are very much self-interested but howveer must
adhere to their other classes in their sect for support. The nucleus which
gives them the legitimacy is the mass support of their sect. But as Commrade
Riad put, they are pretty mcuh self-centered.
    Now the question imposes itself: Does this secterian differences arise
from the society, or is it imposed on the society by the system?
    Most people would argue that the first is correct because of many
different reasons. However, we should put some time zones. True that at the
back of the Lebanese mind there was a such secterian identity and ideology,
but what i am trying to say is that these differences mainly emphazied by
imperialism and manifested itself in the Lebanese political system,
re-imposed itself on the Lebanese regardless of the latter's belief in it.
Hence, imperialism caused seceterianism and its emergence as a dominant
social and political force, which initself caused the creation of the
independent Lebanon, which intself being a secterian State divided the
society mroe strongly along secterian lines. And i would even argue that
this State dividing the social forces along such lines was sometimes even
agianst the will and the want of the people itself.
    Such ties still persist in the Lebanon today, and I think the ills of
imperlaism shapes the societies of the 3rd world. This imperialism that
ended (more or less) in the 1st half of the 20th century, continued to play
its role by new means, mostly global capitalist means. Such similarities
could be found in the different countries of the 3rd world, and I want to
argue that it shapes to a very large extents the social and political
institutions of these societies.
    I wait for your posts, and thank you.