[Fwd: [sixties-l] Re: Makah Whaling Update (June 18,2000: Your tax dollars at work)]

Carrol Cox cbcox at SPAMilstu.edu
Tue Jun 20 17:23:56 MDT 2000

Here is a pretty irritating post from the sixties-l list.
Does anyone know anything about the "Citizens Against
Government Waste (CAGW)"?

Carrol

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [sixties-l] Re: Makah Whaling Update (June 18,2000: Your tax
dollars at work)
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 21:02:26 -0700
From: Joe McDonald <joe at countryjoe.com>
To: sixties-l at lists.village.virginia.edu

fyi, for the past two weeks a running battle has taken place between the
Makah
Native American Tribe, the US Coast Guard ordered to protect them and
pro whale
defenders, resulting in a hospitalized protester and many demonstrations
and
confrontations.  A judicial ruling a few days ago reversed the ruling
that
allowed the Makah to hunt whales in violation of the International
Whaling
Commission.  Here is the latest info:   enjoy , cheers, country joe
mcdonald

For further information and several web sites related to this issue
visit my
home page at <http://www.countryjoe.com>

Dan Spomer wrote:

> =====  A message from the 'makahwhaling' discussion list  =====
>
> FROM WASHINGTON CITIZEN'S COASTAL ALLIANCE
>
> Sekiu, WA: 10:25am PDT
>
> We are pleased to bring you the results of the investigation launched by
> Citizens Against Government Waste (CAGW), a 600,000 member, private,
> non-partisan, non-profit organization dedicated to educating Americans about
> the waste, mismanagement, and inefficiency in the federal government.
>
> It is our opinion that the following article may be one of the most
> important ever generated on the Makah whaling issue, and we encourage you to
> contact CAGW to thank them for their involvement! (www.cagw.org) Be SURE to
> contact your congressional representatives with this information and DEMAND
> they halt any further hunting NOW! Further information is available at
> www.stopwhalekill.org
>
> As taxpayers, you will be less than amused with what you are about to
> read...
> *****
>
> HARPOONING A FISHY TRADITION
> By Kerrie N. Rezac
> (June, 2000 'WasteWatcher,' CAGW's official newsletter)
>
> Whether you are Tevye, the lead in the musical Fiddler on the Roof, or a
> member of an American Indian tribe trying to resurrect a long forgotten
> hunting custom, you have to know that some traditions just arent worth
> keeping.  Especially if they cost the taxpayers $5 million.
>
> While cutting back on normal operations (such as ticketing drunken boaters
> and arresting drug smugglers) due to increasing oil prices, the Coast Guard
> is spending $11,550 an hour to help the Makah Indian Tribe of Washington
> resurrect a tradition.  Ironically, Coast Guard spokesman John ODell has
> remarked, If it is not a life-threatening situation, we have to ask how
> much involvement from the Coast Guard there should be.  Apparently the
> rules change if the Clinton-Gore administration wants something.
>
> In Neah Bay, Wash., the federal government has doled out almost $5 million
> to help the Makah Indian Tribe resurrect the tradition of hunting gray
> whales.  But the Makah hunt is not a tradition at all.  Unlike 21st century
> Makah, earlier Makah did not wear Nikes and Adidas and use automatic rifles
> on their hunts.  The early tribesmen certainly did not get government
> funding for their hunting.  Their sense of pride came from having conducted
> the hunt themselves.
>
> The current situation no doubt has the Makahs ancestors rolling in their
> burial mounds.  The federal government spent $200,000 just to obtain
> permission for the hunt from the International Whaling Commission (IWC).
> Uncle Sam also spent $735,000 to show members of the tribe how to kill and
> eat their prey.  And then there are the Coast Guard escorts who watched the
> hunters do cannonballs off the sides of their canoe for three hours.  All
> in order to restore a sense of culture in the tribes children.

> [...]

-- "Ira Furor Brevis Est " - Anger is a brief madness

country joe Home  Pg <http://www.countryjoe.com>
country joe's tribute to Florence Nightingale
<http://www.countryjoe.com/nightingale>
Berkeley Vietnam Veterans Memorial
<http://www.ci.berkeley.ca.us/Links/Comm/vvm>
Rag Baby Online Magazine <http://www.ragbaby.com/magazine>