Pro-prozac? (was Re: [Re: Why])

Chris Brady chris_brady at SPAMearthling.net
Wed Jun 21 03:44:27 MDT 2000

Dear, dear Carrol,

I was saddened when I learned from your letter the depth of your
distress, and especially that I added to it.  It is no wonder you
replied as you did. I am happy to be corrected, and to learn from
you in this issue. I take back that bit about anti-depressants
(prozac, etc.) in my original letter.

Just so you know, tho, I was stimulated to make that reference--
NB it was as an aside that has occluded my point now-- by a report
that indicated doctors are over-prescribing such SSRIs; in one
case an entire town in Maryland was all on Prozac. Let us put aside
the benefits of SSRIs for the purpose of examination of a business
that makes a profit from people's immediate, concrete distress.
What could be more the epitome of capitalism? I say silly things
some times for effect and sometimes because I am silly, but in
the context of drugs, and profiting from sales of drugs,
I hasten to remind any who cross my path with denunciations of
Colombian marxist narcotraffickers--that the millionaires in Cali
and Medellin and Miami and New York and Chicago and Los Angeles
and Panama City and Thailand and Marseilles and Istanbul and
Beirut and Moscow and so on who have made their fortunes from
drugs are NOT marxists: they are capitalists by definition,
from Prozac, crack or smack.

I know the dif, Carrol, but again, seriously, thank-you.
Truly,
Chris Brady
P.S.: Several years ago I went to our Student Health Center Pharmacy
and was amused to see a small poster of a rather severe, frowning
matron with a hand on her hip and the other shaking a pointer finger,
with the hovering voice balloon above it: "Just snap out of it!"
I cherished that sense of the absurd so much in that situation
(drug stores are not happy, care-free environments--to the contrary!)
that I got on very well with the entire staff after that. They shouted
my name when they saw me in line, and we gabbed and joked so it turned
a time-wasting chore into a bit o' fun.  There's something a little
surreal about a job dealing matter-of-factly with the sort of things
young students find horribly embarrassing, and yet are fairly common.
As workers for the state, the druggists in that pharmacy were more
progressive than usual in private drug stores, but maybe that was
just the cohort then...