[Fwd: [sixties-l] Re: Makah Whaling Update (June 18,2000: Your tax

Michael Hoover hoov at SPAMfreenet.tlh.fl.us
Wed Jun 21 07:04:13 MDT 2000

> Does anyone know anything about the "Citizens Against
> Government Waste (CAGW)"?
> Carrol

Below is quite telling when read against grain.  Example of how
so-called 'public interest' groups are not just for liberals anymore.
Folks like to cite Naderite PIRGS Common Cause (which bills
itself as 'national citizens' lobby) and other groups that have
origins in 'new politics' of late 1960s/early 1970s but CAGW is
indication that 'citizens' groups can fit what E. E. Schattschneider -
no marxist, advocate of multi-party democracy who was identified with
conflict theory (type of facile category that permeates US political/social
science) - called 'flaw in pluralist heaven': 'heavenly chorus sings
with a strong upper class scent.'

Whether liberal or conservative, pressure groups exaggerate size &
unanimity of membership, have few if any means for rank-and-file
(dues payers) to hold leadership accountable, and reduce politics to
narrow, minoritarian special interests.  Michael Hoover (practicing
political scientist, place smiley mark here)

www.cagw.org:
Citizens Against Government Waste (CAGW) is a 600,000 member, private,
non-partisan, non-profit organization dedicated to educating Americans
about the waste, mismanagement, and inefficiency in the federal
government. Founded in 1984 by the late industrialist J. Peter Grace
and syndicated columnist Jack Anderson, CAGW is the legacy of the
Presidents Private Sector Survey on Cost Control, also known as the Grace
Commission.

In 1982, President Reagan directed the Grace Commission to "work like
tireless bloodhounds to root out government inefficiency and waste of tax
dollars." For two years, 161 corporate executives and community leaders led
an army of 2,000 volunteers on a waste hunt through the federal government.
The search was funded entirely by voluntary contributions of $76 million
from the private sector; it cost taxpayers nothing. The Grace Commission
made 2,478 recommendations which, if implemented, would save $424.4 billion
over three years, an average of $141.5 billion a year  all without
eliminating essential services.

The 47 volumes and 21,000 pages of the Grace Report constitute a vision of
an efficient, well-managed government that is accountable to the taxpayers.
CAGW has worked to make that vision a reality and, in a little over a decade,
has helped save taxpayers $486 billion through implementation of Grace
Commission findings and other recommendations.

Former Senate Majority Leader Bob Dole has stated, "CAGW researches
and identifies the most blatant waste in government and shows how it
can be eliminated. CAGW has a long and successful record of winning
major cuts in wasteful spending without sacrificing Americas defenses."

House Republican Policy Committee Chairman Christopher Cox (R-Calif.) went
even further: "CAGW has fought side-by-side with us for welfare reform and
massive cuts in wasteful spending to shrink the size of government and the
deficit." Rep. Cox called CAGW "the premier waste-fighting organization in
America."

CAGWs membership has grown from 5,000 members in February 1988 to
600,000 today. This phenomenal growth is the result of the taxpayers
increasing frustration with the squandering of their hard-earned money
in the nations capital.

CAGW is nationally recognized as the source of information on government
waste. CAGW representatives appear frequently on commercial and public
television, radio talk shows, and in print.

CAGW produces numerous publications highlighting wasteful government
spending. Government WasteWatch is the groups quarterly newspaper,
which is distributed to members of CAGW, members of Congress, and
members of the media nationwide. The annual Congressional Pig Book
Summary is the famous exposi of the most glaring and irresponsible
uses of taxpayer dollars for pork-barrel spending. CAGWs lobbying arm, the
Council for Citizens Against Government Waste, tabulates its annual
Congressional Ratings, measuring the willingness of each member of Congress
to fight government waste and reduce the federal deficit.

) Citizens Against Government Waste | 1301 Connecticut Avenue, NW, Suite 400,
Washington, DC 20036 | 1-800-BE-ANGRY