Re.: Interests and wages in the Argentinian budget (in spanish)

Wed Jun 21 20:00:42 MDT 2000

En relación a Re: Re.: Interests and wages in the,
el 21 Jun 00, a las 12:49, Chris Brady dijo:

> Sorry, Nestor,  I should not have sent that speed bump.
> It was the beginning of a question about how incidents
> like a nation-wide strike can dwindle rapidly into the
> past, and their motivations ignored, if they are not
> followed up and furthered.  We know that the
> bourgeoisie only looks into its rear-view mirror
> when it wants to point out some monument to itself.

Yes. But this strike is something different, not in the sense that it
may become something good of itself (not at all) but in the sense
that it is a forerunner of things to come. In a dark and hidden way,
even the ruling classes in Argentina are sensing this.

> I have been getting information about how things are
> rolling, though.  Paraguay looks interesting.
> Is it more than coincidental that the leader of the strike
> is also head of the transport union there?

Not at all a coincidence. But the similitudes are structural in
character, not due to a formal agreement between transport unions,
not even a contact. The fact is that in formations where production
of goods is not a critical issue (because this section of economy has
never had serious existence, or because it has been laid waste) then
those unions in the transportation trade become the most critical
ones.

> As I said a couple of weeks ago, too bad Uruguay,
> Paraguay and Argentina could not link their strikes,
> but that might alienate the nationalists in each
> country that have a fertilized antipathy to the
> other two nations.

No, there is not such a kind of nationalism here. Maybe in Paraguay,
but I don't think so. What we have are "antinationals", who hate
Argentinians as well as Uruguayans and Paraguayans. But Argentinian
nationalism (democratic, popular nationalism, I mean) has kept strong
sympathy trends both towards Uruguay and Paraguay. This is rooted in
our common histories of popular struggle. The defeat of Paraguay in
the 1860s was a defeat for all our popular masses, and in some way or
other, this is something that remains as a strong undercurrent in the
psichology of our common people.

> (Carrol has no monopoly on rambling, but I
> prefer to see mine as dialectical... )

(Not too original in this, Chris. We are all cut by the same tailor.
Ah, speaking of private vices, this one is for you: Clos du Moulin,
Cabernet-Sauvignon + Pinot Noir. Made in Mendoza. Tasted it as a gift
I made to myself on Fathers' Day, last Sunday. Superb, and just u$s
7.-- a 750 cc bottle!)

hiccup,

Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
gorojovsky at inea.com.ar