Forwarded from Anthony (on Celtic invasion)

Julio Fernández Baraibar julfb at SPAMsinectis.com.ar
Fri Jun 23 18:24:03 MDT 2000

Thanks Anthony, very interesting and wise explanation. But here a short
consideration:

You wrote:

> I imagine that the immigration of people from Great Britain to Argentina -
> especially Southern Argentina, as I understand - during the late
nineteenth
> and early twentieth century, may have something to do with the Celtic
music
> fad in Buenos Aires. Most of that immigration to Argentina probably came
> from Scotland and Northern Ireland (Celtic country, and sheep country). I
> imagine by now that some of the grandchildren of those people, who
probalby
> listend to some kind of celtic music with their abuelos y abuelas, have
> moved to the big city, speak only Spanish - but still remember the music
of
> their childhoods.

Unfortunately things are not so easy in my country. The land received a very
important quantity of inmigrants from Wales, who stayed in the north region
of Patagonia, in Chubut province. There, for instance, in the little town of
Gaiman there is a lot of teahouses with extremely long names, that sound as
"Qwertpoiuyasdfglkjhzxcvmnb" and that it is supposed means something in
gaelic. There you can eat the famous "black cake" and other tasteful cakes
with, possibly, the most extraordinary tea in the whole Argentina, served by
old ladies that, by some strange reason, like shakespearian witches. From
the speakers you can hear wonderful and delightful choruses, one of the
specialities of this people.
The influence of this is so big in the region that the gaelic choruses that
use to participate in international meetings, are formed not only by
descendants of gaelic but of very argentinian, spanish, italic people, that
sing in a language that they don't understand, if somebody can do it.
The strange in Buenos Aires case is that it is not this kind of people who
follow the new celtic fashion, but very middle class people from diverse
origins that nothing have to do with celtic inheritance. One of the worst
products of this is the attempt of the shopping centers to celebrate
Halloween. Unfortunately this is more a consequence of the "americanization"
of the middle class, than of the influence of the old and interesting celtic
culture. But, I must say, the attempt has not been successful. After some
years it seems that they have finished with the experience.

Julio FB