Celtic invasion to Buenos Aires

Gary Maclennan g.maclennan at SPAMqut.edu.au
Sat Jun 24 00:03:18 MDT 2000

Very interesting Lou.  I struggled through the Spanish.  Gotta get a
dictionary.

I am more than a little sceptical about the tide of Cetlic phenomena that
is spreading world wide.   In many ways it is very postmodern in the  sense
that the bourgeoise of the entertainment industries have to scour the globe
for new aesthetic phenomena to commodify and market.  It is though worth
pointing out the pivotal role of the Irish in literary modernity - Yeats,
Joyce, Beckett etc.  Always with the master slave dialectic that underpins
capitalism creativity comes from the margins.

In Australia the Celtic mania did not take off until the peace process in
Ireland neutralised Anglo resistance here. When I came to Australia in 1975
a tide of Irish jokes arrived.  These were the same jokes that British
comedians told British soldiers before they went out on the streets on
Northern Ireland to oppress the Irish.  I remember seeing a program where
the English comedian Ken Dodd told a whole string of Irish jokes to British
soldiers dressed in uniform and cradling their guns.  I thought then that
the Jews must have had a similar reaction to the Jewish jokes told by
Nazis. So when I got to Australia and heard the same jokes, I suffered
something of a crisis.

However the jokes  functioned differently here.  In Australia Irish jokes
served to reinforce and celebrate one of the great feats of British
colonialism - the total assimilation of the Irish culture in
Australia.  The upshot of the jokes craze was a deepening of the feeling
that to be Irish was to be stupid or mad and that it was a good thing that
Australia had turned her back on the Irish past.  Moreover while the IRA
remained a revolutionary danger it was not respectable to be Irish here in
Australia.  Not really.

Now it would seem that it is once more the raqe.  Yet it is a very fake
phenomenon.  In many ways as phony as those Irish songs that Bing Crosby
sang. As for the Irish Pub bit it is a 'load of shite' as they say back
home.  I have only been thrown out of one pub in my whole drinking career
and that was recently here in Brisbane because the Australian bar tender in
an Irish pub could not understand my accent.  True!

regards

Gary