Celtic invasion to Buenos Aires

Paul Flewers hatchet.job at SPAMvirgin.net
Sat Jun 24 05:55:20 MDT 2000

Gary Maclennan wrote: < As for the Irish Pub bit it is a 'load of shite' as they
say back home.  I have only been thrown out of one pub in my whole drinking
career and that was recently here in Brisbane because the Australian bar tender
in an Irish pub could not understand my accent.  True! >   List members who have
not been to Britain for a bit may not know of the 'Irish Pub' phenomenon. Over
the last five or so years, many ordinary pubs in London and other British cities
have been refurbished as 'Irish Pubs', painted garish colours, covered in junk
and old bottles with Irish labels, stocked with foul brews and generally messed
up. Friends and colleagues of mine from Ireland say they're nothing like Irish
pubs, which (they told me) are either like ordinary British pubs, or bars at the
back of shops (British 'Irish Pubs' are pubs trying to look like shops trying to
look like pubs), and they hate them with an intensity that has to be seen to be
believed. I don't know who started this horrible fashion, but whoever was
responsible for them should not be allowed to go unpunished.   Paul F

----- Original Message ----- From: Gary Maclennan To: marxism at lists.panix.com
Sent: Saturday, June 24, 2000 6:43 AM Subject: Re: Celtic invasion to Buenos
Aires
Very interesting Lou.  I struggled through the Spanish.  Gotta get a
dictionary.
I am more than a little sceptical about the tide of Cetlic phenomena that
is spreading world wide.   In many ways it is very postmodern in the  sense
that the bourgeoise of the entertainment industries have to scour the globe
for new aesthetic phenomena to commodify and market.  It is though worth
pointing out the pivotal role of the Irish in literary modernity - Yeats,
Joyce, Beckett etc.  Always with the master slave dialectic that underpins
capitalism creativity comes from the margins.
In Australia the Celtic mania did not take off until the peace process in
Ireland neutralised Anglo resistance here. When I came to Australia in 1975
a tide of Irish jokes arrived.  These were the same jokes that British
comedians told British soldiers before they went out on the streets on
Northern Ireland to oppress the Irish.  I remember seeing a program where
the English comedian Ken Dodd told a whole string of Irish jokes to British
soldiers dressed in uniform and cradling their guns.  I thought then that
the Jews must have had a similar reaction to the Jewish jokes told by
Nazis. So when I got to Australia and heard the same jokes, I suffered
something of a crisis.
However the jokes  functioned differently here.  In Australia Irish jokes
served to reinforce and celebrate one of the great feats of British
colonialism - the total assimilation of the Irish culture in
Australia.  The upshot of the jokes craze was a deepening of the feeling
that to be Irish was to be stupid or mad and that it was a good thing that
Australia had turned her back on the Irish past.  Moreover while the IRA
remained a revolutionary danger it was not respectable to be Irish here in
Australia.  Not really.
Now it would seem that it is once more the raqe.  Yet it is a very fake
phenomenon.  In many ways as phony as those Irish songs that Bing Crosby
sang. regards
Gary