reformatted post

Workers World, Chicago Bureau wwchi at SPAMenteract.com
Sat Jun 24 13:38:52 MDT 2000

>Louis Proyect wrote:
>
>> 2. convert all end of line characters (^p in Microsoft Word) to space.
>> 3. re-enter 2 end of line characters between paragraphs to skip a line.
>
>I got that part, but how does one accomplish this feat in Word?

No, no, look, you do it in three steps.

First, in MS Word, ^p is the symbol for the end-of-paragraph character.  ^l
is the symbol for the new-line character (within a paragraph) that looks
like a bent arrow.

So do this:

(1) Everywhere there is a paragraph, which is now represented by two
end-of-paragraphs together, you change them to two end-of-lines:

Edit - Replace     ^p^p   to  ^l^l

(2) Now change all the remaining end-of-paragraphs to spaces:

Edit - Replace     ^p     to      (type a space here)

(3) Now change all the stuff you changed in step 1 back to what it was:

Edit - Replace     ^l^l   to   ^p^p

The effect of all this will be to change stuff like this:

Here is
some text
of which
this is the first paragraph.

Here is
some more
text.

To this:

Here is some text of which this is the first paragraph.

Here is some more text.

L. Paulsen
Chicago branch, WWP