Who is Patrice Marchak? (translation)

Sun Jun 25 08:39:41 MDT 2000

En relación a Who is Patrice Marchak?,
el 25 Jun 00, a las 10:50, Julio Fernández Baraibar dijo:

> What do our canadian comrades about Patrice Marchak, president of
> "Academia de Humanidades"?. She has wrote about the "dirty war" in
> Argentina and has been in Buenos Aires during the last week. For them
> that can read spanish, this is her last answer in an interview

Translation of the slimy answer

- Did the dictatorship answer to economic or rather to ideologic
interests?

-Many people I interviewed -Left people in particular- believed that the
military acted in favour of the oligarchy, a clearly Marxist biased
interpretation. At first, I tended to accept this as a truth, but after I
talked with many people of the middle class, and from the Church,
I realized that repression, for the military, was a Holy War. I am not
saying  that they did not have economic interests, only that terror
was unnecessary to defend them. Capitalism works better under a
democratic government than under a military government. In fact,
there was much more neoliberalism with Carlos Menem than before. We
must also remember that during those times many capitals left the
country, because foreign capital did not favour terrorism. Global
capital may be a very destructive force in a society, but I do not
believe that it needs military forces to make its destructive power
more effective.

[My own comment: I do not know who this Patrice is, but she is
clearly arguing for blaming the military for anything that happened.
I bemoan a wave of Patrices for the next years...]

Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
gorojovsky at inea.com.ar
NUEVA DIRECCIÓN ELECTRÓNICA DESDE EL 10 DE JULIO DE 2000
NEW E-ADDRESS AS OF JULY 10, 2000
gorojovsky at arnet.com.ar