Who is Patrice Marchak?

Julio Pino jpino at SPAMkent.edu
Sun Jun 25 13:10:00 MDT 2000

Marchak is a loony bird, but she is right that the savagery of the Dirty
War cannot be reduced simply to the military carrying out the wishes of the
Argentine oligarchy. "El Proceso" furnished its own ideology, some of it no
doubt repugnant to both the Argentine upper classes and their foreign
backers. Nestor can best commment on this, but the anti-semitism of the
junta seems to have been in-grown, a vestige of Pre-Peron fascism, rather
than something imposed by the bourgeosie on the armed forces.Certainly,
Timmerman's "Prisoner without a Name, Cell without a Number" gives that
impression.