Who is Patrice Marchak? (translation)

Jose G. Perez jg_perez at SPAMbellsouth.net
Sun Jun 25 16:06:48 MDT 2000

>>In the US for example, despite the growing dissatisfaction of Center
rule under Clinton, the ruling elite continue to churn out immense
quantities of propaganda about the necessity of all thing staying
Center.

>>Both the right and left in the US find Clintonism (The Center) to be
more and more tiresome.     It unites us in this one thing alone.
But we have a hard time imagining how tiresome 71 years of the center
would become, as in the case of the PRI in Mexico.<<

Tony,

    I'm not sure where you find the evidence for "growing
dissatisfaction" with Clinton's rule. On the contrary, by all measures
he remains one of the most popular presidents ever; by comparison,
Reagan's Teflon was made of flypaper.

    It is true that there have been numerous signs of the beginning of
a possible radicalization, but I do not believe these have been
provoked by or directed against the policies of "the center" per sé.
If anything, this incipient radicalization (like those of the past) is
at right angles to the left-right spectrum of American bourgeois
politics.

    Thinking back over the past several years, it seems to me very
confused to say: "Both the right and left in the US find Clintonism
(The Center) to be more and more tiresome. It unites us in this one
thing alone."

    On the contrary, if there is one thing that people in the U.S.,
and especially, I believe, working people found even MORE "tiresome"
than the cretinism of American bourgeois electoral politics, it was
the unceasing efforts by a right-wing cabal, the news media and
Congressional Republicans to drive Clinton from office under the aegis
of one or another "scandal."

    Particularly revealing was Monica Lewinskygate: at every turning
point, when the right-wing Republican/Washington media
gasbags/right-wing cabal threw a new bucket of mud at Clinton, the
typical reaction was that Clinton's approval rating would RISE from
about 60% to about 70%, and then slowly trend back down to 60 or so.

    Of course, the six- and seven-figure TV gasbags could never figure
out why Clinton's popularity would rise "despite" such and such an
accusation or revelation. The Washington insider celebrities who
portray journalists on TV "reported" with a straight face on how
important it was whether Clinton had fingered Lewinsky and whether he
had come on her dress. And they wailed with despair over how the
public could "forgive" Clinton for having lied about his affair with
Monica.

    Regular people, working people, had no problem understanding why
Clinton lied in response to such questions from his political enemies.
It's what many of US would have done under similar circumstances.
Moreover, the reaction against a sexual wtich-hunt by Cops, the Courts
and Congress was instinctive. The ones working people couldn't forgive
were the Paula Jones lawyers, the Starr gang and the Republicans for
having asked such questions in the first place, and the media windbags
for serving as their megaphone.

    And, of course, those of us raised in a certain way understood
that it was the duty of a gentleman
to protect the good name of a young lady that had shown him such
favor.

    I think a similar analysis could be made of the Elián González
case, which rivetted the attention of the country at the beginning of
the year. What people found tiresome was not the "center" to use your
terminology but the "right," and the "center's" unceasing
accommodations of the right. There is and was, quite simply, no
"left-right" coincidence at all that I can see.

José