(Fwd) Mujeres en Afganistán / Women in Afghanistan

Thu Jun 29 20:20:14 MDT 2000

Date sent:              Thu, 29 Jun 2000 13:44:18 -0300
From:                   ngoro <ngoro at indec.mecon.gov.ar>
To:                     CrashList-talk at egroups.com
Subject:                FWD: Mujeres en Afganistán / Women in Afghanistan

Dear comrades,

I do not usually forward this kind of mail. However, the situation
depicted here, in my opinion, deserves attention by anyone who is
seriously interested in putting an end to the current global
situation. It is a pity that the body of the request does not
denounce
the responsibilities of Western ruling classes in generating the
current fundamentalist regime in Afghanistan, but I suppose it is a
general rule to leave these postings the way one receives them, then
forward them to the originating source as requested.

I cannot refrain from commenting, however, that the true face of
Western bourgeoisie´s gender politics towards women is not evident in
the relatively "pampered" situation the latter enjoy in "politically
correct" core states, but in the situation "enjoyed" by women under
the rule of the movements that those core states foster and support in
the Third World.

>===== Original Message From flida <flida at indec.mecon.gov.ar> =====
>===== Original Message From "Valero, Mrs. Haydee (WDC)"
><valeroha at paho.org>
=====
Subject: Please don't ignore it

Dear Friends,

Please do not ignore this e-mail. This is something that women
and essentially as human beings need to support - I dont know
if this is going to help but take 3 minutes out of your life to
do your part.

Madhu, the government of Afghanistan, is waging a war
upon women. Since the Taliban took power in 1996, women have had to
wear burqua and have been beaten and stoned in public for not having
the proper attire, even if this means simply not having the mesh
covering in front of their eyes.One woman was beaten to death by an
angry mob of fundamentalists for accidentally exposing her arm while
she was driving. Another was stoned to death for trying to leave the
country with a man that was not a relative.

Women are not allowed to work or even go out in public
without a male relative; professional women such as professors,
translators, doctors, lawyers, artists and writers have been forced
from their jobs and stuffed into their homes. Homes where a woman is
present must have their windows painted so that she can never be seen
by outsiders.

They must wear silent shoes so that they are never heard.
Women live in fear of their lives for the slightest misbehavior.
Because they cannot work, those without male relatives or husbands are
either starving to death or begging on the street, even if they hold
Ph.D.s.  Depression is becoming so widespread that it has reached
emergency levels. There is no way in such an extreme Islamic society
to know the suicide rate with certainty, but relief workers are
estimating that the suicide rate among women, who cannot find proper
medication and treatment for severe depression and would rather take
their lives than live in such conditions,has increased significantly.
There are almost no medical facilities available for women.

At one of the rare hospitals for women, a reporter found still,
nearly lifeless bodies lying motionless on top of beds, wrapped in
their burqua, unwilling to speak, eat, or do anything, but slowly
wasting away. Others have gone mad and were seen crouched in corners,
perpetually rocking or crying, most of them in fear.

One doctor is considering, when what little medication that is
left finally runs out, leaving these women in front of the
president's residence as a form of protest.  It is at the point where
the term "human rights violations" has become an understatement.

Husbands have the power of life and death over their women
relatives, especially their wives, but an angry mob has just
as much right to stone or beat a woman, often to death, for exposing
an inch of flesh or offending them in the slightest way. Women enjoyed
relative freedom, to work, dress generally as they wanted, and drive
and appear in public alone until only 1996.

The rapidity of this transition is the main reason for the
depression and suicide; women who were once educators or
doctors or simply used to basic human freedoms are now severely
restricted and treated as subhuman in the name of right-wing
fundamentalist Islam.

It is not their tradition or 'culture,' but it is alien to them, and
it is extreme even for those cultures where fundamentalism is the
rule.  Everyone has a right to a tolerable human existence, even if
they are women in a Muslim country. If we can threaten military force
in Kosovo in the name of human rights for the sake of ethnic
Albanians, citizens of the world can certainly express peaceful
outrage at the oppression, murder and injustice committed against
women by the Taliban.

STATEMENT: In signing this, we agree that the current treatment of
women in Afghanistan is completely UNACCEPTABLE and deserves action by
the United Nations and that the current situation overseas will not be
tolerated. Women's Rights is not a small issue anywhere, and it is
UNACCEPTABLE for women in 2000 to be treated as subhuman and so much
as property.

Equality and human decency is a RIGHT not a freedom, whether one
lives in Afghanistan or elsewhere.

> [...]
> >  > 252 KatherineBaxter, Westminster, MD, USA
> >  > 253 Elizabeth Heizer, Philadelphia, PA, USA
> >  > 254. M. Patricia Mood, Schenectady, NY, USA
> >  > 255.Jeanne Qualters, Latham, NY, USA
> >  > 256. Mary Ann Rossi, Providence, RI
> >  > 257. Beatrice Baker, Bronx, NY, USA
> >  > 258. Mary Burke, Bronx, NY, USA
> >  > 259. Maria Elena Mariani, Rochester, NY, USA
> >  > 260. Joseph F. Ganley, Rochester, NY, USA
> >  > 261. Rita Bruckler, MD, USA
> >  > 262. Michael Terman, New York, NY, USA
> >  > 263. Douglas Holmes, New York, NY USA
> >  > 264. Marguarette M. Bolton-Blatt, New York, NY USA
> >  > 265. Steeman, E., Leuven, Belgium
> >  > 266. Dierckx deCasterli B., Leuven, Belgium
> >  > 267. Yolande Lievens, Leuven, Belgium
> >  > 268. Filip Brams,Brussels, Belgium
> >  > 269. Valerie Nuyttens, Mechelen, Belgium
> >  > 270. AnneliesFrison, Antwerpen, Belgium
> >  > 271. Jeroen De Baene, Moorslede, Belgium
> >  > 272. WendelienCneut, Gent, Belgium
> >  > 273. Timothy Suy, Gent, Belgium
> >  > 274. ElisabethVangheluwe, Kortrijk, Belgium
> >  > 275. Sam Lobbens, Kortrijk, Belgium
> >  > 276. MatthiasVerbeke, Kortrijk, Belgium
> >  > 277. Matthias Demuzere, Leuven, Belgium
> >  > 278. AnkeDewilde, Gent, Belgium
> >  > 279. Johan van den Broek, Tielrode, Belgium
> >  > 280. WimBenda, Berchem, Belgium
> >  > 281. Erik De Bruyn, Antwerp, Belgium
> >  > 282. Ferre BLAES,Mechelen , Belgium
> >  > 283. Rudy Sohier , Putte, Belgium
> >  > 284. Erik Dirkx,Antwerpen, Belgium
> >  > 285. Herman Van Laer, Antwerpen, Belgium
> >  > 286. Paul VanLaer, Brugge, Belgium
> >  > 287. Johan Abeloos, Brugge, Belgium
> >  > 288. MauriceMommaerts, Bruges, Belgium
> >  > 289. Eddy Becking, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
> >  > 290. Jan Jaap Lems, Singapore
> >  > 291. Jorn Wisselink, The Hague, The Netherlands
> >  > 292. Jeroen Hennephof, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
> >  > 293. Marjoleine Reitsma, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
> >  > 294. Dimitri Van den Eynde, Antwerp, Belgium
> >  > 295. Yasmine Kherbache, Antwerp, Belgium
> >  > 296. Emilio Lopez-Menchero, Brussels, Belgium
> >  > 297. Dave Bailey, Los Angeles, USA
> >  > 298. Mathilde ter Heijne, Berlin, Germany
> >  > 299. Peter Friedl, Berlin, Germany
> >  > 300, Martha Rosler, Brooklyn, New York
> >  > 301. John Slyce, London, England, UK
> >  > 302. Gilda Williams, London, England, UK
> >  > 303. Jeffrey Kastner, New York, USA
> >  > 304. Mona Marquardt, New York USA
> >  > 305. Barbara Mack,New York USA
> >  > 306. Evelyne ADLER, New York, USA
> >  > 307. Lisa Raymon, New York, USA
> >  > 308. Janira Delos Santos
> >  > 309. Lucetia Sapp, Philadelphia, PA, USA
> >  > 310. Laura Ragan, Philadelphia, PA, USA
> >  > 311. Theodore Smith, Philadelphia, PA, USA
> >  > 312. Ashley Brook, Philadelphia, PA, USA
> >  > 313. Dana Giano, New Jersey, USA
> >  > 314.  Kym Stone Philadelphia, PA, USA
> >  > 315.  Kyle Kaurin, Maryland, USA
> >  > 316. Shea Kaurin, Maryland, USA
> >  > 317.  Fran Emmons,  PA  USA
> >  > 318.  Dick Emmons, PA, USA
> >  > 319.  Edythe West, VA, USA
> >  > 320.  Glenn West, VA, USA
> >  > 321.  Betsy Feinberg, NY, USA
> >  > 322.  Sue Ward, Montreal, CANADA
> >  > 323.  Khatchik Shahbazian, Montreal, CANADA
       324.  Tricia Forbes, Chinnor, England
       325.  Simon Pearce, Chinnor, England
       326.  Denise Henderson-Cleland, Richmond, England
       327.  Beverley Harper London England
       328.  Lynn Stables, Los Angeles, USA
         329.  Michelle Butrum, Los Angeles, USA
         330.  Jenny Chang, San Francisco,CA USA
         331.  Cynthia Bouris, Toronto, Canada
         332.  Carol Hawn, Brampton, Ontario Canada
         333.  Sonia Kondrat, Toronto, Ontario Canada
         334.  Rhonda Bentley, Toronto, Ontario Canada
         335.  Mary Casey, Minneapolis, Minnesota
         336.  Diane Melloy, Minneapolis, Minnesota
       337.   Rev. Marian Hale, Chicago, Illinois
       338.  Linda Pomianowski, Burbank, Illinois
       339.  Kathleen Allen, Hammond, Indiana
       340.  Kathleen O'Shea, Ipswich, Massachusetts
       341.  H. Fuller, Jamaica Plain, MA, USA
       342.  G. Garcia-Tsao, New Haven, CT, USA
       343.  M. Reyes-Mugica, New Haven, CT, USA
       344.  Gloria Silvestre Khokhar, Fairfax, VA, USA
       345.  Mariesther Fernandez, Arlington, VA, USA
       346.  Haydée Valero, Chevy Chase, MD, USA
       347.  Fernando Lida G., Buenos Aires, Rep. Argentina
       348.  Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky, Buenos Aires, Rep. Argentina

PLEASE COPY this email onto a new message, sign the bottom
and forward it to everyone on your distribution lists.  If
you receive this list with more than 350 names on it,
please e-mail a copy of it to:

sarabande at brandeis.edu <mailto:sarabande at brandeis.edu>  Even
if you decide not to sign, please be considerate and do not kill the
petition.

Lic. Néstor M. Gorojovsky
Dirección de Estadísticas del Sector Primario
Instituto Nacional de Estadística y Censos
Argentina

Tel.: (0541) 349-9728

Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
gorojovsky at inea.com.ar
NUEVA DIRECCIÓN ELECTRÓNICA DESDE EL 10 DE JULIO DE 2000
NEW E-ADDRESS AS OF JULY 10, 2000
gorojovsky at arnet.com.ar