China Reportedly Notified US On Its Intention to Use Force to Reunite Taiwan

Mon May 1 10:19:47 MDT 2000

> Henry:
>
> i have some colleagues who do business with various engineering firms
> in Taiwan. Anecdotal evidence from people they have talked to there is
> that the "average" Taiwanese, meaning the random ones they do business
> with, have no problem joining up with China. Their main concern is
> with keeping __business__ going as usual.
>
> Do you have any background information on how Taiwanese masses look at
> Chinese unification? Naturally we in the US get zero content in this
> regard from the major local media. What are the aims of the Taiwanese
> leaders who are dancing around the independence issue?
>
> les schaffer

I can give you a minor anecdote: At the job I just recently left, knocking
on doors randomly around Vancouver BC, I came across many Taiwanese born
citizens of all hues. I would simply ask: "Do you look at Taiwan as a
province or a country?".
The responses I got were roughly down the middle. I must have posed this
question to folks at least 50 times, and the less time they had lived here
in Vancouver, the more likely they felt they were a part of China. Hope that
is of some help, Vancouver has a very high number of both Taiwanese and
mainland born Chinese nationals. BTW, I have never met a mainland born who
wanted an "independant" Taiwan, either.

Macdonald