The Suicide of New Left Review

Daniel O'Connell dpoconnell at SPAMphilosophers.net
Thu May 4 13:56:00 MDT 2000

Louis wrote:

'Frankly, I don't think that Doug could "write" prose like Zizek, Bourdieu or Butler
if his life depended on it.'

Woah! (as Snowy used to say in Tin-Tin...).

Stop the presses. Louis, why are you lumping Bourdieu in with Zizek and Butler?

First of all, I have---for the most part---always found Bourdieu (unlike Butler) to be
an excessively lucid writer, at least in his more popular works (in which I'll include
_L'Ontologie Politique_ for the sake of perversity).

Secondly, he seems like _exactly_ the sort of writer who will be out in the cold if
NLR goes it's "new" way. He's one of the few who's truly hard-hitting in his critique
of Neoliberalism. You're saying he isn't? Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you, Louis...

Daniel
OCONNELL at CUA.EDU