L-I: Argentina on strike

Fri May 5 08:29:23 MDT 2000

Comrades and friends,

I am writing these lines on Friday, 5 May 2000.  It is 11:05 AM, and
the strike called for by the CGT of Moyano seems to have really
paralyzed activities in Buenos Aires.

The bus drivers union has gone to strike quite completely, and thus
the city lacks subways and buses. The heads of the railway workers
unions are with the CGT of Daer (that is, of De La Rúa and the IMF),
so that the trains are running (but the very imperialist companies
operating them have informed that they are having a 50% downturn of
their income today). Teachers and state employees unionized in ATE
have also adhered to the strike, and the Metallurgic and Mechanic
unions as well. The Union of the Construction Workers, a  shaky ally
for Moyano, have not adhered, and they seem close to step back to the
CGT of Daer. At the same time, however, there are unions in the Daer
clique who are trying to approach to Moyano's positions. This strike
will certainly reinforce the position of Moyano's CGT.

More info later.

By the way, in Buenos Aires we are having a cold, rainy day which
must have helped the strike to be succesful. We shall see.

Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
gorojovsky at inea.com.ar

     --- from list leninist-international at lists.econ.utah.edu ---