Movimiento Renovador Sandinista

Julio Pino jpino at SPAMkent.edu
Fri May 5 12:31:06 MDT 2000

re the MSR:  the leader of the group is Sergio Ramirez, one-time
Vice-president under Daniel Ortega. Ramirez heads the MRS parliamentary
block, but the party did very poorly when it ran a candidate in the last
Nicaraguan presidential elections. Basically, the MSR accuses Ortega of
turning the FSLN into a personality cult, "obstructing" the reconstruction
of the country (ie, being bad boys to the IMF)and getting in league with
Aleman to assure Nicaragua becomes a duopoly, with only the Conservatives
and the Sandinistas capable of running candidates for office, monopolizing
the media, etc.For more info. consult "The Undermining of he Sandinista
Revolution" eds. Gary Prevost and Harry Vanen (St. Martin's Press, 1997).