white Zimbos to follow Rhodesian Model?

Sun May 7 16:52:28 MDT 2000

En relación a Re: white Zimbos to follow Rhodesian Model?,
el 7 May 00, a las 12:49, Julio Pino dijo:

[snip]

> In practice "critical support" to Mugabe
> means encouraging the expropriation of all white farms

[snip]

> But the left in Zimbabwe can only profit from this
> move if it explains to the working class and farmers that it is but a
> FIRST step in settling accounts with the entire capitalist class,
> black and white, that inherited the country when the British
> departed.

This is exactly what is meant by "critical support".  The idea is, in
fact, so simple: once you have taken the warpath, you MUST NOT step
back. That is the kind of thundering waters we like to sail into, and
the only ones that may help us reach destination.

I do not know if this applies to Mugabe now, nor do I know if this
has ever applied to him. But if he were an "African nationalist", no
matter his faults, when we find him confronting imperialism or
remains of imperialism it is our duty not only to give him our
unqualified support, but to present ourselves as the boldest
supporters of that path. Thus, when the moment comes for great
decissions, we shall be there to take them together with our marching
peoples.

All of this, of course, implies that the true class and national
character of Mugabe must be clearly defined for us, or at least that
we bet to his being an African nationalist, as Julio P seems to be
certain that he is.

In any case, giving land to Black people in Africa does not seem a
bad move to me. I prefer that, and not a Cardoso menacing the
landless peasants (Sem Terra) with mass shootings. On the other hand,
it would be very instructive to learn if production in the
Matabeleland ranches are oriented towards domestic or foreign
consumption. But on all this, I am sure Patrick will have a lot to
teach us.

A hug,

Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
gorojovsky at inea.com.ar