An Orientalist explanation from Zizek

James Farmelant farmelantj at SPAMjuno.com
Mon May 8 19:14:00 MDT 2000

On Mon, 08 May 2000 18:42:33 -0400 Louis Proyect <lnp3 at panix.com> writes:
> Mac wrote:
> >Forgive me here, but you have all made it quite clear that thia
> ass-hole is
> >just that: An ass hole. Why do we need to be bombarded by his
> useless,
> >insulting and racist ravings and apologia?
>
> Because we (I actually) are monitoring him. Zizek, unlike many of
> the
> academic leftists, takes pains to establish his Marxist--if not
> Leninist--credentials. I wouldn't, for example, bother with Judith
> Butler,
> another one of Doug Henwood's bedroom wall posters, but Zizek needs
> to be
> understood and rebutted. Lenin had his Bogdanov. Marx and Engels had
> Duhring and Prudhomme. We have Zizek.

I think I am detecting a downhill slide here.  Duhring and Bogdanov at
least
had some interesting ideas that were worth struggling against.  They were
folk not so easily dismissed.  Most of what I have seen of Zizek is from
what
Doug has posted about him.  If it weren't for the fact that there are
people
like Doug who take him seriously, he would hardly seem to be the worth
the
effort of rebutting.

Jim F.

> Louis Proyect