On cartography, geopolitics and meaning.

Carrol Cox cbcox at SPAMilstu.edu
Sun May 14 11:27:15 MDT 2000

Nestor Miguel Gorojovsky wrote:

> One may also have a look at the planet from Latin America putting the
> West "downwards", that is minimizing the visual incidence of the
> Pacific, which for the time being is a desert of water from our point
> of view, and new relations are surprisingly at hand.
>
> But all of this implies not to ape imperialist cartographers any
> more.
>
> Well, enough of this arid class on cartography and meaning!

Not arid at all. I had at one time or another thought of most of your
suggested refocusings -- but never of the last one; that is, I had
thought of reversing "top" and "bottom", but never of turning the
whole thing on its "sides."

Carrol