Denounce U.S. Supreme Court Misogyny

Mon May 15 14:42:08 MDT 2000

In a message dated 5/15/00 1:49:38 PM SA Pacific Standard Time,
now at www.now.org writes:

<< Please feel free to forward the following to activists:

 From the National Organization for Women Action Center:

 FEMINISTS DENOUNCE BRZONKALA DECISION, JUSTICES DELIVER BLOW TO VIOLENCE
 AGAINST WOMEN ACT
 STATEMENT OF NOW PRESIDENT PATRICIA IRELAND

 The Supreme Court has said not JUST that women's right to be free from
 violence is not protected by the U.S. Constitution but that the
 Constitution actually prohibits Congress from providing such protection.
 I've never seen a more compelling argument for a constitutional amendment
 guaranteeing women's equality.

 And, with George W. Bush identifying Antonin Scalia and Clarence Thomas as
 the justices he most respects, this 5 to 4 decision is also a compelling
 argument to keep Bush out of the White House.

 Let this decision serve as a call to action.  NOW activists across the
 country will hold demonstrations at federal buildings this weekend, and
 activists here in Washington will gather for a protest on the steps of the
 Supreme Court this Friday (5/19) at noon.

 now at now.org