Brazil: return to dictatorship.

Julio Pino jpino at SPAMkent.edu
Mon May 22 11:55:26 MDT 2000

Carlos: You are, of course, absolutely right. Cardoso has much less
manouevering room, politically, economically and ideologically, than any
ruler before him. The fiasco of the 500th anniversary "celebation" was
proof that he, unlike the generals of 1964, cannot even call on
nationalist rhetoric to rally the middle classes, much less the poor, on
his behalf.I too believe that the continuity of political forms between
1930 and 1985 far outweigh the ruptures during that period.Last time I was
in Brazil (1997)some intellectuals aired the notion of "colonelismo" being
overtaken by "colonelismo electronico"; a perfect metaphor I thought.
BTW, I'll be in Recife this June for the Brazilian Studies Association
conference. Is there any way you could get your writings on "The Permanent
Revolution in Brazil" to me?
Meus melhores desejos,
Julio Cesar
At 01:52 PM 5/22/00 -0300, you wrote:
>Dear Julio: The re-enforcing of the Law of National Security in Paraná - a
Law that
>had never been enforced since the mid-1980s, as it was a totalitarian
attempt of the
>military dictatorship to make everyone responsible for the preservation of
the
>military regime (art 1 of the said statute declared that "everyone is
responsible for
>the keeping of National Security, considered as the realizing of the
National Will