Said and Sartre

Dennis R Redmond dredmond at SPAMoregon.uoregon.edu
Sun May 28 17:18:26 MDT 2000

On Sat, 27 May 2000, Daniel O'Connell wrote:

> What is more, at that time in his life, I doubt there was much he cared
> about. He was pretty far gone, and it sounds like Benny Levy and the
> others organized the conference and, through the help of de Beauvoir and
> Elkaim-Sartre, secured Sartre's totemic presence at it.

Word is Sartre was taking huge amounts of benzedrine or some similar
amphetamine during the Fifties and Sixties to fuel his prodigious output.
By the early 1970s his health was shattered and he was pretty much burnt
out -- blind, afflicted with strokes, unable to write anymore. It's
amazing he was still able to walk around in 1979, much less attend a
conference.

-- Dennis