What Russian cigarettes cry for

Sun May 28 17:31:10 MDT 2000

Dear comrades,

This is a strange world, indeed!

I went for a walk today, and strolled in the midst of an endless and
unexpected mass of cars along Brazil street, the street that links my
home with the Southern Shoreside Avenue (Avenida Costanera Sur) in
Buenos Aires. Though the avenue is still a nice place for a walk, it
is far from any shore today, but this is a different story. I will
stick to what I want to comment.

The important thing is that the City Government decided to prepare
some events in celebration of the 190th aniversary of the May
Revolution, the revolution which eventually led to the independence
of the Southern tier of Spanish Latin America. One of these events
was a festival precisely at the point where Brazil meets Shoreside
Avenue. If I had known that beforehand, I would have gone somewhere
else. But that's the way things are. Once I got there, I decided to
stay for a while.

Very reasonably, coming from a petty bourgeois government such as the
one we have, the whole thing was celebrated with a "festival of the
communities", that is with a festival where immigrants would be the
main attraction! This is funny enough (I accept I am a little biased
in my description, but not too much), but more funny was the fact
that by the place where the festival was held you could see some
couple of dozens of stands from different communities. You could see,
among those stands, a particular one, from the Russian community.

The stands sold products that were (theoretically) produced in the
countries these communities belonged to. In fact, the Syrian stand
sold pens made in Taiwan, but I guess that this was just a
demonstration of the old commercial intelligence of the Middle
Eastern countries, who can dupe an Argentinian into believing that
those pens were made in Syria! That intelligence, one must reckon, IS
a peculiar Syrian trait, since the times of the Phoenicians, so that
it is all OK.

But the stand where there was something I want to talk about is the
stand of the Russian community. They DID bring actual Russian goods.
Among them, cigarette boxes, for collectors I suppose. There were
some different boxes, a couple of them at least from the "Prima"
factory or brand.

One of the boxes was square, like a ten cigarette box but wider to
accomodate 20, full red with simple drawings in black and white. The
drawings were overlorded by a face of Stalin to the upper left. And
these "Prima" cigarettes were called "Nostalgia".  The seller told me
they were sold by the millions in the fSU.

Believe it or not!

A hug,

Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
gorojovsky at inea.com.ar