Peru/Venezuela/Mexico (and Argentina)

Tue May 30 06:10:07 MDT 2000

Though I have never met him, I have taken a heartfelt fancy for Chris
Brady, not the less because we seem to share some private vices such
as good wines and meals. But a couple of lines on his posting on
Peru/Venezuela/Mexico has brought me to the recognition that we share
more important things. With an eye so unfortunately missing in most
Anglo American "observers" of Latin America, Chris writes that

> ... of passing interest to me is the northamerican media’s
> presentation of Toldeo and Fox as the “opposition” in the Peruvian and
> Mexican electoral competitions. It is of only passing interest to me
> because these ostensible antagonists are merely libertarian capitalist
> free-marketeers and not by any criterion alternatives to capitalism
> --if anything, they would usher in an ACCELERATION of imperialist
> intrusions into the local economies –and that seems like a good enough
> reason to support such chaps while coincidentally buffing up the
> glittering credentials of democratic choice inherent to politically
> correct capitalism.

We are having such a chap ruling here now. The story in Peru, of an
Alan García followed by a  Fujimori that would be followed by a
Toledo, reminds me starkly the story in Argentina of an Alfonsín
followed by a Menem followed by a De La Rúa. In both cases you have
the following series of events:

a) weak, fearful petty bourgeois "progressive" who fails to tackle
the situation of the foreign debt in the early 80s
b) a rootless, alien rogue who cares less about his own countrypeople
than about the inhabitatnts of Mars
c) a "clean", politically correct, ultraliberal who, riding the horse
of "anti-corruption", ensures the application of the recipes from the
IMF and the USA.

By the way, what is at stake in Argentina now is not Argentina
herself, which has become a third rate player in the Latin American
game, but the Mercosur and Brazil. The USA are trying to use us as a
backstabber against Brazil, and De la Rúa seems prone to accept that.

More on next postings. Now, I am going to my job, where I have been
reduced wages (47% in a couple of months, not only 12% now, as most
of my fellow workers. Ah, but yes, mine was a "special case":  while
Argentinian Treasury Bonds rise in New York, the value of National
Prizes to Scientific Achievement here go down!)

Cheers, Chris!

> Finally, a contradiction may appear in the US Government's earlier
> intolerance in Haiti with its current inaction regarding Peru (despite
> sanctimonious expostulations over corruption blah-blah). Decades of
> toleration of the Haitian dictatorial Doc Family didn't stop the US
> putting its foot down at Jean-Bertrand Aristide's consideration of a
> second term as democratically elected President de Haiti. You see, the
> new Constitution forbade a President to take more than one term. You
> may recall that most of Aristide's one term was spent in exile, and he
> was effectively not the Chief Executive of Haiti during that period,
> but the US still forced him to go strictly by the book. The US
> insisted on no such legal pettifoggery in the case of Alberto
> Fujimori's eternal Presidency, or his term-after-term flouting of the
> Constitution of Peru as well as the democratic process. The New York
> Times' Clifford Krause writes that's because the US regards Fujimori
> as such a good ally in his fight against leftist guerrillas and drug
> traffickers. So: maybe democracy is not inherent to capitalism
> afterall... Maybe there is a time and a place for everything: if a
> democratic preformance can enhance capital's choices, then on with the
> show!
>
> YFTR,
> Chris Brady

Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky