Peru/Venezuela/Mexico

Jose G. Perez jgperez at SPAMnetzero.net
Tue May 30 07:06:23 MDT 2000

>>An interesting contrast appeared in a pair of reports
on the front-page side-bar of our local paper this Friday past.
One story was about the Venezuelan President’s decision to
hold off elections in response to international pressure.
That was followed by a piece describing the Peruvian
President’s resolve to proceed with his election despite criticism.<<

Yeah, I'm SURE the pig press is depicting the postponement of the Venezuelan
elections as a capitulation by Chávez to imperialist pressure.

The evidence suggests Chávez isn't so easily pressured (those unconvinced
should now go out and fill up their gas tanks).

The point isn't so much that Chávez is "leftish" as that he is a nationalist
who is clashing with imperialism; trying to put this in the framework of the
"left-right" spectrum of imperialist bourgeois politics is a
misunderstanding.

The truth is the elections were postponed not by Chavez but by the election
commission. The reason for it was unimpeachable: the automated (American)
system for balloting and the cards to be used with it were not ready.
Whether the CIA et al played a role in this not being ready is not yet
known.

Fujimori's "technical difficulties" were simply a cover for stealing the
elections. Something like 1,400,000 more votes than voters is not something
that computer programs produce by accident. Coding 1 + 1 + 1 ... isn't a
particularly challenging task. Pretty much the ONLY way to mess that up is
on purpose.

José

An interesting contrast appeared in a pair of reports
on the front-page side-bar of our local paper this Friday past.
One story was about the Venezuelan President’s decision to
hold off elections in response to international pressure.
That was followed by a piece describing the Peruvian
President’s resolve to proceed with his election despite criticism.

*

NetZero - Defenders of the Free World