Build Base Communities

Marta Russell ap888 at SPAMlafn.org
Tue May 30 11:19:01 MDT 2000

Hi Sue,

First this article on the janitor's strike wasn't representative of my
politics - rather I found it interesting that an extreme criticism did not
include the fate of the in home workers which are also organized by SEIU (at
least in part).

Base communities as you describe could be a powerful force against
oppression.  However, I've been active in the disability movement long
enough to be wary of anything which does not have a specific disability
platform.  Workers have not always included disabled persons in their
visions.  For me to support such a plan, there would need to be an
understanding that "workers" include disabled persons (reasonable
accommodations as laid out  byt the Americans with Disabilities Act).
Neither  capitalist nor communist countries have integrated blind, deaf,
mobility and other impaired persons into their economies.  We have been
segregated and forced to live in poverty.  Much of this is due to a
medicalized approach to disablement which is perpetuated in paternalistic
ways but it has also been due to bureaucracies in the communist countries
and to capitalist business practices which force us out of the labor market.

Also, all meetings  in the base communities would need to be made accessible
so that disabled persons have access to these local community politics.  My
experience has been that many unions are NOT accessible.  Since the
Disability movement is against institutionalization, there would need to be
in home community supports (attendants) to assist with daily needs.  We can
be productive people if our environment allows it.

The web site listed under my name below is how to contact my publisher Common
Courage Press.  I have written a book which, although not exhaustive, does
explore the political economy of disability.  You may be interested in
reading it.  Thanks very much for your comments and ideas, we do share a
similar vision of where we need to go. We just need to make sure everyone
can go there.

(BTW the word invalid is too suggestive of in-valid.  Not valid.  best not
to use it. And I would not assume that what you call the lumpens (whoever
you define them ) would  not join a movement for justice if given the
opportunity to be a part of it.

best,
Marta

--