NZ section of IST (the SWO)

Graham graham at SPAMunacode.demon.co.uk
Tue May 30 16:09:28 MDT 2000

Re: NZ section of IST (the SWO)

One of the things that disturbed me about the SWO's 'public safety'
justification for the campaign against Bill Logan is the way it merges his
alleged beliefs about children consenting to sex with adults with his
voluntary work.
It's quite possible to hold an opinion - wrong ones included - without it
impacting on a professional role. I have a lot of criticisms of higher
education in Britain, but it doesn't disqualify me from working there from
time to time. Likewise, I disagree with a lot of what 'information society'
theorists suggest, but it doesn't stop me summarising these ideas fairly for
my sociology students.
If some advocates changing the law around adult/child sexual relations, the
point is to challenge this viewpoint in public, not run a campaign to sack
them on the grounds of potential threat to children.
The SWO might have a Stalinist past, as Phil F tells us, but if this is
anything to go by they've adopted the meat & veg of IS/SWP politics very
quickly, where you have greed (economics) and hypocrisy (politics) and
there's no distinction between public & private.
It reminds me of the 80s, when right-wing Tory MP Harvey Proctor resigned
after spanking a rent boy. The British SWP treated this as a minor triumph
in a bid to tap into the populist homophobia it unleashed.

Graham B
Editor, Culture Matters CMCRC strand
http://www.shu.ac.uk/schools/cs/cent_com/culmats.htm