The voice of capital declares war against "information wants to be free" (was: Rock and roll rebels)

Les Schaffer godzilla at SPAMnetmeg.net
Tue May 30 23:18:30 MDT 2000

Jose Perez said:

> all it takes for a DVD-quality 2 hour movie is about 6 gigs. So
> while RIGHT NOW movies and TV programs are out of the line of fire,
> within several years, MPEG-encoded movies may be bouncing around the
> Internet like the napster MP3 files are doing now.

its interesting what that dude from Metallica said in the slashdot
interview. he's waiting for movies to get tossed around like this,
cause he figures Hollywood will get into the act and take on the
Napster's of the world with REAL BIG MONEY behind their fight.

on a side note, someone mentioned Napster as being Open Source. as far
as i could tell from scanning their site, this is not true. they give
you software for Windows free of charge, but no source code.

i see there is a GNapster project around, so maybe the Napster
protocol (or whatever it is) is in the public domain and Gnu folks are
implementing it for linux and other platforms.

but my first impression of Napster and where they are headed fits my
image of a new capitalist sector taking on an old one -- "The
Napsters' Take on The Entertainment Business." But i dont know enough
about the Napster business model to see how the fight will shape up.

et tu, jose?

les schaffer