What is Peronism?

Wed May 31 19:00:14 MDT 2000

First of all, Louis, I want to thank you for your posting, which
reveals a depth of analysis and a theoretical soundness that I cannot
but bow at. There are some minor flaws, mostly of an empirical
character, which have almost no interest, and I will probably not
comment. The insight that the article reveals is amazing and I am
delighted to read it.

There is a line, in particular, that has proved to be prophetic, and I will stress it,
particularly today, because this important day in Argentinian politics stems
directly from these words written in 1957, in the United States of
America, by Bert Cochran:

 even under the Peron-dominated CGT,
> labor won a sense of strength, dignity, and influence which will have
> an important bearing on the future history of the country—and which
> survived the dictator’s fall.

The only precission I will make here points to the idea that Cochran
had of the relations between Peron and the working class, which is
much more complex and leaves to the class a much more greater parcel
of independence. Cochran states that

 Peron ... took power in a more or less legitimate election in which he
> won a majority

These elections were the purest elections in Argentinian history up
to then, and in fact were the purest ones for many years. This was
admitted even by the opposition.

And, yes, Bert Cochran was right in his

> The next attempt will start from this higher ground.

We are now beginning to step up to that ground, at last.

Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
gorojovsky at inea.com.ar