The voice of capital declares war against "information wants to be free" (was: Rock and roll rebels)

Jose G. Perez jgperez at SPAMnetzero.net
Wed May 31 19:58:51 MDT 2000

I have no idea what Napster's business model is. They do not seem to have a
product that they're selling or giving away to push advertising. Then again,
what these dot-coms have been selling most is the stuff (bourgeois) dreams
are made of -- stock certificates.

The point is that a lot of these cultural "products" have attracted "big
money" because it was possible to limit their distribution. Make duplication
of the products easy enough and of a high enough quality and ... the value
of a book, movie or song becomes vanishingly small.

There is another project similar to Napster called Gnutella, which, as far I
understand it (I haven't used it myself) is another cross-user file sharing
utility but isn't limited to mp3 files and doesn't rely on a central server
to maintain a database of what's being shared at this moment.

Such a program, if it can be made to work, would qualitatively complicate
efforts to crack down on unauthorized file sharing.

José