[Fwd: [FAIR-L] ACTIVISM UPDATE: Nightline Responds on One-Sided China Panel]

Carrol Cox cbcox at SPAMilstu.edu
Wed May 31 15:51:23 MDT 2000

There seemed to me to be some false assumptions operating in
the Activism Update from FAIR I am forwarding. I am copying
here a response I addressed to FAIR.

Carrol

My response to FAIR:

****

I agree of course that Nightline is a very obnoxious program, and
your specific criticisms of Nightline in this case are valid.

BUT it seems to me this FAIR advisory itself becomes part of
what in a way is a more serious distortion of an issue than is the
distortion complained of. FAIR distorts the nature of an ongoing
debate *within* the left.

The whole thrust of this Update from FAIR is to equate support
for PNTR (or, more accurately, refraining from opposition to
PNTR) with support for globalism. But it seems to me (and many
others I know) that the opposition to PNTR was in fact a betrayal
of the central thrust of the Seattle and A16 movements, sidetracking
attention to a battle which (whatever the subjective intentions of
its advocates and whatever the facts, negative I agree, about
China) was in effect chauvinist, racist, and anti-communist. This
obscurring of an important conflict within the left is I believe
more damaging to progressive thought than anything the scoundrels
on Nightline might do or not do.

Carrol Cox