Nezavisnost and the European Trade Union Confederation

Wed Nov 1 02:36:26 MST 2000

Alan wrote:

>Should we support (or have supported - I'm going to use present tense)
>unpopular, pro-capitalist and corrupt states that use military/police
>repression against their working classes, or should we support the
>movements that oppose them _knowing full well_ that these movements will
>bring more consistently counter-revolutionary forces to power?  The answer
>can be either, depending on the situation.
>
>The key is which is most likely to bring the working class into action as a
>historical factor, and, of course, in a positive role in terms of their
>interests!  The problem with the first option is that it tends to freeze
>this process, and substitute the state apparatus for the working class
>itself.  The alternative is to support whatever tendencies exist for the
>working class to engage in action on its own behalf, and in its own person.
>
>The second option, alas, fails because of the sheer brutality of the
>processes unleashed by counter-revolution:  the whole great terrible
>holocaust that has swept the former Soviet Union, Eastern Europe, and
>Nicaragua is not something that can be easily dismissed as part of some
>historic process.  But of course this process can't be avoided by
>supporting dodgy governments that are fundamentally pro-capitalist
>themselves.
>
>Well, I've just reminded myself why I stay away from these questions as
>"too hard", and why I feel no particular compulsion to either endorse or
>condemn Mike Karadjis' articles.

It seems that the whole process of the dissolution of Yugoslavia has
made a large part -- perhaps the majority -- of leftists in the West
abstain from anti-imperialist politics altogether.  Dialectics is all
right in an analysis of the past, but getting stuck with neither/nor
in the present simply immobilizes you.

Yoshie

P.S.  And I add my thanks to Johannes to Lou & Nestor's.