Break Their Haughty Power

Wed Nov 1 03:10:47 MST 2000

En relación a Re: Break Their Haughty Power,
el 31 Oct 00, a las 21:15, Xxxx Xxxxx Xxxxxx dijo:

> Dennis R Redmond wrote:
>
> > > the decolonization of the aesthetic canon, culture
> > >studies,
>
> What does "decolonization of the aesthetic canon" mean?
>

> Xxxx

A good question. In Argentina, in the name of such a thesis, many
brutish things were made. But at the same time, the idea that artists
should express what happens to their fellow folkspeople and not some
kind of "artistic canon" imposed from abroad (as in our Borges, for
example) is a very important component in the struggle for
intelectual independence. Think of the Romantic musicians of Central
Europe in the second half of the 19th. Century. Or, still more
interesting, King Henry's masterpiece of a Bible in English. Those
were declarations of intellectual independence, in fact.

Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
gorojovsky at arnet.com.ar