To non-Spanish speakers

Juan Fajardo fajardos at SPAMix.netcom.com
Thu Nov 2 21:05:33 MST 2000

Nestor Miguel Gorojovsky wrote:

> I strongly suggest non-Spanish speaking cdes to try a reading of Juan
> Fajardo's post on Humala through the automatic translation programs.
> Same with my own posting with the Manifesto of Humala Tasso to the
> Peruvian nation.
>
> Humala is beginning a political carreer, and his may be a Peruvian
> way to appear as a Chavez. When someone in the future asks you "how
> did you know?" just answer that some dumb guy from Buenos Aires gave
> you the news.

A bit of background:

Ollanta Moisés Humala Tasso is a lieutenant colonel in the Peruvian
Armry, who heads --or rather, headed-- the 501 Anti-Aircraft Artillery
Group in the department of Moquegua, near the Chilean border.  On Sunday
--charging that the military and police heads associated with the
Fujimori/Montesinos administration, by enriching themselves from the
drug trade and/or from money laudering, having been appointed
illegitimately, and having turned the army into another political party,
had gravely damaged the integrity of the armed forces, broken the
legitimate chain of command (and, one supposes, of promotion[*]), and
weakened the interanal stability of the country and its defenses against
external agression-- Humala defied Fujimori's orders issued late last
week for the armed forces to remain in their garrisons.   He declared
that he was taking his men out in open defiance of the executive order
and in defiance of the Joint Command's instructions on a march through
the country to "reacquaint" them with the people.  He also declared
himself ready to open fire on anyone who interfered with his column or
"repressed the populace" along his route.  His expressed intention is
that his men would be the "first column" of the "New Peruvian Army,"  to
achive which he would not lay down his arms until there was a chain of
command established by an "elected president".

By Wednesday, most of his troops, realizing what he was getting them
into -- a military uprising-- had abandoned him, and he was left only
with his brother, a couple of close aides and maybe as few as 6 and
perhaps as many as 100 soldiers.  Meanwhile the Joint Command has
mobilized other troops from Moquegua to find Humala's column, so far
without success, although it appears that there has been phone contact
and the Attorney General may mediate in order to avoid a shooting fight.

- Juan

====================================
[*] It may be coincidental, but Montesino's cohort of officer school
graduates is due to pass into retirement next year, making room at all
levels for army officers to move up a rung or two in terms of rank,
appoitments, and choice postings.  Moquegua is for all intents and
purposes at the ends of the earth from Lima.

Humala may be also a bit carried away by his name.  Ollanta is the main
character in an anonymous Quechua-language play from Colonial times
about the Inca.  In the work, Ollanta, one of the Inca's top generals
fall in love with the Inca's sister and the two flee together, reputedly
to the town that now bears the name Ollantaytambo, where a battle ensues
when Ollanta refuses to resubmit to the Inca's orders if it means giving
up his bride, who by Inca custom should have married her own brother the
Supreme Inca.  The significance of the Colonel's namesake has not been
lost on the opposition media --e.g. La Republica daily-- nor, I suspect,
on Ollanta Humala himself.