Merchants & Revolution

Fri Nov 3 11:05:37 MST 2000

>>> furuhashi.1 at osu.edu 11/02/00 04:51PM >>>
Hi Charles:

>I think we should take
>Brenner's explanation of the _origins_ of capitalist social relations
>while taking insights from the dependency theory camp on how
>capitalism, once it arose, has _developed_.
>(((((((((((
>
>CB: As to the origins of capitalist social relations, does he agree
>with Marx that slavery and colonialism were the chief momenta of the
>primitive accumulation of the capitalists, or not?

Time to discuss Robert Brenner, _Merchants and Revolution: Commercial
Change, Political Conflict, and London's Overseas Traders, 1550-1653_
(Princeton, NJ: Princeton UP, 1993)?  734 pages, the index included.
If there is to be a debate on the book, however, folks actually have
to read it.

CB: Does he speak on the specific position that Marx takes ? I don't know about
debating his whole book.  Does it teach us something new that we have not known since
Marx's _Capital_ ?