Nader:End Sanctions on Iraq

Jose G. Perez jg_perez at SPAMbellsouth.net
Sun Nov 5 23:40:21 MST 2000

>>I have a suggestion that I don't wish upon anyone:
Shut down your Internet connection for approximately a month, watch
CNN and tell me after the fact that Nader isn't a breath of fresh air.<<

Actually, I was watching a lot of CNN today, having spent the day in
rehearsals at "the world's most important network," And the thing that most
struck me was the constant barrage by all sorts of people against Nader,
including "senior political analyst" Bill Schneider, who gleefully claimed
that his poll numbers showed Al Gore is up a tiny whisker cause Nader's
support is ebbing.

The truth is, of course, that the margin of error on the poll subsets
schneider was using was so large that the difference he claimed to detect
among self proclaimed liberals, from something like 13 or 15 percent voting
for Nader to 9 percent, was not statistically significant. And, of course,
you have to remember that these are not and do not claim to be random
samples of the population, but rather people who are "likely voters" in the
view of CNN and Gallup, and that is a slippery category whose exact
boundaries tend to shift the closer you get to the balloting.

Schneider said people were turning away from Nader because they didn't want
to waste their vote. I've been operating on the working hypotheses that the
most effective way to "waste" one's  vote was simply not to cast it. But
Schneider and Co. have me close to being convinced that for some reason best
known to themselves, it is not abstention but a Nader vote that bourgeois
commentators find most reprehensible this year.

Maybe I WILL vote for Ralph, after all.

As I predicted some months ago, the big news over the weekend is that the
race is "tightening." This is as predictable the weekend before an election
as the swallows returning to whatever place that is in California where they
go mate and deposit guano every spring.

BTW, the possibility that has everyone freaked in certain media circles is
that Gore will win the electoral vote and Bush a plurality of the popular
vote, and how hard that is to explain, never mind justify, in a 20-second
sound bite.

José