Chattel Slavery, Colonialism, & Capitalism

Mon Nov 6 17:50:34 MST 2000

>  >The proposition A is not the same as the proposition B.  One can hold
>>B to be true while denying A.  Significantly, Eric Williams never
>>argues for the proposition A, since his argument is that profits from
>>the triangular trade & slave labor were among the main sources of
>>wealth converted into industrial capital fostering _the Industrial
>>Revolution_, the growth of which eventually caused the abolition of
>>West Indian slavery (as you can see from _Capitalism & Slavery_ as
>>well as the Russell R Menard article I posted a while ago).
>>
>>Lou seems to think that unless we argue for the proposition A, we'll
>>end up agreeing with Eugene Genovese, Ernest Laclau, Bill Warren,
>>etc. & proposing the modernization theory as the solution to the
>>problem of the maldevelopment of the Third World.  I don't think so!
>>
>>Yoshie
>
>Yoshie, 2 things. Please do not cc PEN-L when you reply to me here. I want
>to keep Michael Perelman happy. The other thing is that you seem to be
>repeating yourself. Unless you come up with new information or arguments, I
>will refrain from answering you. My suggestion to you is to write a
>comprehensive defense of your ideas, using Brenner's 734 page book or
>whatever. I would have taken it out of the Columbia Library but it is a
>reserve book.
>
>Louis Proyect
>Marxism mailing list: http://www.marxmail.org/

Well, I don't mind posting new info & arguments (which btw change
nothing in this debate), but you haven't come to grips with the
arguments that Carrol & I (among others) have advanced on the
fundamental theoretical points at all.

Yoshie