Rain

David Welch david.welch at SPAMst-edmund-hall.oxford.ac.uk
Tue Nov 14 16:45:41 MST 2000

On Tue, 14 Nov 2000, Louis Proyect wrote:

> Why would "communists" circulate nonsensical anti-environmentalist
> arguments like these? This is the same obscurantist nonsense that Rush
> Limbaugh and the oil company public relations departments spout. In fact
> volcanoes have the opposite effect on the environment from man-made
> emissions: they have COOLING rather than a WARMING IMPACT. This is because
> they generate huge amounts of sulfur dioxide which blocks out the sun.
> Hasn't anybody in your sect read the literature?

This was a comrade's personal view, as a democratic centralist
organisation the CPGB(PCC) doesn't have a line on global warming. Though
Louis usually uses sect as a synonym for bad rather than referring to any
particular organisational feature.

On the particular issue you mention, I think the intention was to point to
the range of natural phenomena that affect the composition of the
atmosphere.