Marxist groups sending youth to work in factories, etc.

Peter R Santina santina at SPAMfas.harvard.edu
Thu Nov 16 12:09:09 MST 2000

Hey everybody, I've read about the Progressive Labor Party and the October
League sending their middle-class, educated members to get blue-collar
jobs, and in that way, try to get a working-class membership base. I think
this was the same as the "Colonization" strategy of the old CPUSA. Does
anyone know how widespread this practice was/is? How successful?

More generally, once communists and radicals were expelled from unions,
how did these groups try to gain a working-class base of support? Of the
various American radical groups, which ones had the strongest
working-class support?

thanks,

Peter