Leonard Peltier

Fri Nov 17 10:10:36 MST 2000

 EXTREMELY URGENT ACTION
 The Leonard Peltier Defense Committee has issued this urgent action alert.

 CALL THE WHITE HOUSE FOR LEONARD PELTIER : 202-456-1111
 CLEMENCY MAY BE DECIDED SOON : IT'S NOW OR NEVER

 Dear Friends,

 We have some very exciting news for everyone! President Clinton has publicly
confirmed that Leonard's clemency petition has reached his office, and that
it will be decided one way or the other in the very near future. Quite
possibly, a decision could be made over the Thanksgiving holiday! It looks
like critical decisions are being made in the White House RIGHT NOW.

 Congratulations to everyone who has worked so hard the last many years for
Leonard. You have brought this case right up to Clinton's desk. But now we
must work harder than ever for the next few weeks. We are down to the wire
and this is literally a matter of life and death. It looks
 like Bush might be the new President, and you know what that means for
clemency for Leonard.

 It is now or never for telling the White House how we feel about the case.
We are asking people to call every single day to the White House, starting
now, and up through December 1. (We will send out new information then).While
it is possible that a positive decision might take longer, we must make very
sure that Leonard's case is not dropped from the list in the early stages.

 The FBI camp has initiated their own phone campaign to the White House
protesting clemency. WE MUST DROWN THEM OUT. Leonard's support across country
is huge, but we must now make ourselves heard, more than ever.

 PLEASE CALL THE WHITE HOUSE COMMENTS LINE EVER DAY THROUGH DECEMBER FIRST!
TRY TO ORGANIZE AS MANY FRIENDS AND SUPPORTERS AS POSSIBLE TO MAKE THE CALLS
WITH YOU!

 To reach the White House Comments Line just call 202-456-1111. You will get
a recording, but you can skip it by dialing "0" for the live people. What
counts is that hundreds of calls come in every single day. Clinton needs to
know he has our full support for Leonard's release.

 You may get an operator who seems very interested in talking, or someone who
does not want to talk at all and doesn't care. This doesn't matter at all
either. Whoever answers your call, they must tally the total at the end of
the day and send the numbers upstairs to Mr. Clinton.

 Keep the message courteous and straightforward. Here is a sample :
 1. Identify yourself and your state and any nation you belong to.and any job
title if you wish.
 2. Explain that you want Clinton to immediately and unconditionally release
Mr.Peltier.
 3. Explain that Mr.Peltier never got a fair trial because the FBI coerced
witnesses and concealed the ballistics test reflecting his innocence.
 4. Mr.Peltier especially deserves clemency because of his incredible record
of good deeds behind bars, like sponsoring a Native scholarship program,
adopting children in Central America, supporting battered women's centers and
substance abuse programs, and sponsoring an annual Christmas clothing and
toys drive for the children of Pine Ridge.
 5. Time is running out to resolve this national tragedy, because Peltier now
suffers from diabetes, a heart condition and high blood pressure.
 6. Releasing Mr.Peltier will be an important first step in national
reconciliation between the United States government and the Native American
people of this country.

 If you wish to write as well as call, the White House fax number is
202-456-2461

 Be in New York City December 10th Peltier Walk For Freedom!

 Leonard Peltier Defense Committee
 PO Box 583
 Lawrence, KS 66044
 785-842-5774