Democracy or Empire?

Sun Nov 19 19:10:06 MST 2000

En relación a Democracy or Empire?,
el 19 Nov 00, a las 14:21, Yoshie Furuhashi dijo:

> I think that the reason why a limited democracy helps build &
> maintain an empire is that the rulers can't afford to fight on two
> fronts, domestic & foreign, at the same time, as Machiavelli reminds
> us.  Hence the usefulness of the Democratic Party & liberal
> internationalism in America....
>
> Yoshie

But wasn't Cecil Rhodes who explained that imperialism is a matter of filling the
stomach of the mobs so that a civil war between Disraeli's two Englands could be
avoided?

It is very usual that the most ardent imperialists are the most democratic leaders,
in a social sense though not necessarily in a political sense, within their own
countries. Ted Roosevelt is an example, and even in a backward country such as Spain
by the 1900s you could find a Joaquín Costa...

Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
gorojovsky at arnet.com.ar