Amerika

Patrick Scott lilburne at SPAMtotalise.co.uk
Mon Nov 20 17:39:54 MST 2000

Why should anyone care how you spell
America?

The point is however is that America is not a
country, it is a land mass that incorporates two continents. The United States
(ie the country between Canada and Mexico) is not America, it is part of North
America ie the northern of the two American continents. Citizens of any other
country in North or South America have just as much right to call themselves as
Americans as US citizens. . The identification of the US as America and of US
citizens as American citizens flows from the imperialist and national chauvinist
attitude of the US ruling class that has long regarded the rest of America as
its own backyard and has therefore assumed the name of America for
itself. This is the reactionary legacy that we as Marxists should be
confronting rather than wasting our time on tittle tattle about how to spell
America.