Greens and Europe

Tim Vanhoof timvanhoof at SPAMgmx.net
Tue Nov 21 02:58:09 MST 2000

> Fascism was a mass movement as well. Still is in Germany.

This is not true in any way. Fascist organisations present a serious
problem in Germany, but they are a long way away from being a mass
movement.

> Europe is just more extreme across the board.
>From a European point of view you could argue that the USA is more
extreme, but I don't think it's a very useful generalisation.

> The German Greens emerged as part of the mass movement against the
> nuclear juggernaut that threatened to destroy us all in the '70s. What
> they represent as a political party is something else altogether: the
> usual mix of eco-centric, anti humanist, anti-enlightment, anti-marxist
> rubbish that characterizes the mainstream environmental movement.

While this is true, it's reformism which has led to the betrayals of the
Green Party, not its environmentalism. It's given up key components of
its environmental platform once big business put the pressure on. The
Greens always stood for shutting down nuclear power stations. The
"compromise" now agreed with the energy corporations guarantees all
currently existing power stations can continue operation for another 30
years!

> Another layer of the ruling class that's not being examined here is the
> powerful class of rentier capitalists: descendants of European
> monarchies, wealthy landlords, rich family dynasties, who clearly have
> an interest in slow economic growth. They contribute heavily to the
> environmental movement. It is largely their creation.

The influence of these people on the economy is the same as their
influence of the environmental movement: roughly zero.

--
Then let us pray that come it may / As come it will for a' that
That man tae man the world o'er / Shall brothers be for a' that.