Myanmar disappointed over ILO vote

Xxxx Xxxxx Xxxxxx xxxxxxxx at xxxxxxxxxxx.xxx
Fri Nov 24 19:22:57 MST 2000

snedeker wrote:

> >this article poses some important issues. does anyone know >of a good study
> >of the uses  of forced  labor in the contemporary global
> >economy?

I don't remember when, but once upon a time Lou posted an article on pen-l
describing how Nike capitalists in Vietnam were literally forcing Vietnamese
women to work in the factories (beating, harrassing, etc..). I am not sure if
they were wage laborers though. Even if they were, they were forced into  wage
laborer--"forced free laborers", so to speak. Looks to me a  typical example of
"primitive accumulation" that takes place in the periphery of the world system.
Hence the importance of Marx.

It might be interesting to look at free trade export zones in Latin America to
see the forms of labor there, particularly in Apparel/maquiladora industry on
Mexican border.

Xxxx

--

Xxxx Xxxxx Xxxxxx