A reading list for Anthony

Sat Nov 25 10:11:42 MST 2000

Lou:

>Now, on the substance. Carling would obviously argue along these lines
>because he is an Analytical Marxist. AM is the school out of which Brenner
>himself has emerged and Carling has put forward a synthesis of Cohen and
>Brenner in an attempt to soften the impact of 'technological determinism'
>found in Cohen. Needless to say, all of these characters are deeply into
>"stagist" Marxism that systematically excludes the 'combined and uneven
>development' that was a hallmark of Trotsky's thinking and which is
>ultimately rooted in Marx's own writings, particularly with respect to the
>German revolution.

Why do you think that there is an organic relation between Analytical
Marxism and "stagist" Marxism?  BTW, isn't "stagism" of the CP
variety precisely what Trotsky opposed?  What is the content of
"stagist Marxism" -- ultimately rooted in Marx's own writings, you
say -- under which you assert that we must subsume the CPs,
Trotskyism, & Analytical Marxism?

Also, what does it mean in the concrete to reject "stagism" in the
current historical conjuncture?  Say, with regard to Serbia, China,
Argentina, the USA, etc.?  Take your pick, and illustrate it for us.

Yoshie