the role of forced labor

Xxxx Xxxxx Xxxxxx xxxxxxxx at xxxxxxxxxxx.xxx
Sat Nov 25 15:08:41 MST 2000

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> >in the 18th century slaves were still the charectertic of labor force in
> >Caribbean Islands when the doctrine of laissez faire was already
> >developing.
>
> >The doctrine of laissez faire did not come to be put into <_practice_
> >until later.  For instance, the Navigation Laws -- "the very >heart
> >and core of the colonial system" (Eric Williams, _Capitalism &
> >Slavery_, p. 168) -- remained until _1848_.

Ohh! wait a minute you are telling me that Navigation Laws were hardly
capitalist because they were part of the Mercantilist Trade System? So when
the protectionist laws were abolished, slavery ceased to exist with
liberalism? However, the *British* liberal bourgeoisie perfectly benefited
from the mercantilist legislation that protected British exporters trading
with the colonies for a long period of time, even before 1848. Mercantilism
did not block the development of British liberal bourgeoisie.On the contrary,
it fed it with slavery and colonialism. Looks to me that liberal versus
protectionist is hardly a correct distinction when it comes to understanding
the political economy of imperialism. They are the side of the same coin, me
thinks.

The same applies to US before the Civil war, agrarian capitalists were strong
adherents of free trade capitalism with the British.

This is very much like saying that Bush is not a capitalist because he is not
a liberal! Sorry!

Xxxx

--

Xxxx Xxxxx Xxxxxx