Report on dams boosts Narmada project

Ulhas Joglekar ulhasj at SPAMbom4.vsnl.net.in
Sun Nov 26 08:59:22 MST 2000

Patrick:
> Two factors: intrinsic contradictions in the process of accumulation
> which thus far have been displaced across space and time, largely
> through the financial system's expansion and innovation;

I am not sure what this means in concrete terms. As far Indian capitalism
is concerned, there is no crisis and there aren't any crisis displacement
techniques. Indian capitalism has grown at the about 5 or 5.5 percent per
annum over last twenty years and this pattern is expected to broadly
continue, unless there is a global crisis. Indian capitalism is less
integrated with the world economy (e.g. less than China) and global events
have relatively less impact. Indian capitalism largely grows through the
expansion of internal markets.

Patrick must have seen China's proposal for a free trade pact involving
China,Japan,Korea and ASEAN. Singapore has already concluded free trade
arrangements with Japan and New Zealand, and Singapore/US free trade pact is
expected soon. If US economy continues to grow, it will be difficult
to reverse the liberalisation process.

>and the rise of diverse anti-"neoliberal" forces which are and will be
>making more robust demands on their nation-states (and less, thank
>goodness, on some myopic global regulator) to get protection from
 >market depravities.

Now on anti-"neoliberal" forces in India: Indian CPs constitute the largest
antiliberal forces. ( nearly one million party members, 20 million votes
etc. ) CPs are stagnant. They have not extended much support to Narmada
movement. My impression is that Indian supporters of Narmada movement tend
to be liberal environmentalists, social democrats, non-party marxists etc.
IMO Narmada movement has reached a dead end.

Ulhas