the role of forced labor

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at SPAMjuno.com
Sun Nov 26 10:48:03 MST 2000

On Sun, 26 Nov 2000 10:44:46 -0600 "juanita shever" <jshever at hotmail.com>
writes:
> So, from this post do we conclude that "forced labor" has been
> abolished as
> a component of the capitalist mode of production?  Juanita.

In fairness to Xxxx, I don't read her as implying such a conclusion.
She did argue correctly that while chattel slavery was essential
for the development of capitalism in its earlier stages, it later
began to act as an impediment to capital and so was ultimately
abolished.  This does not mean that weren't other forms of
forced labor which remained in place and which continued
(and continue) to serve the interests of capital (i.e. prison labor).

Jim F.

> >From: Xxxx Xxxxx Xxxxxx <xxxxxxxx at xxxxxxx.xxx>
> >To: marxism at lists.panix.com
> >Subject: Re: the role of forced labor