Mercantilism: Britain & Spain (was Re: the role of forced labor)

Xxxx Xxxxx Xxxxxx xxxxxxxx at xxxxxxxxxxx.xxx
Sun Nov 26 19:27:36 MST 2000

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> Xxxx:
>
> >Plus, you still haven't replied my question on Navigation Acts. This means how
> >useful the discussion is with you. Only chatting and intellectual name
> >dropping! That is it!
>
> You mean this question?
>
> >At 1:33 AM -0500 11/26/00, Xxxx Xxxxx Xxxxxx wrote:
> >Furthermore, if the abolishment of navigation acts gradually
> >undermined slavery in 1848, as you claimed, then why was there was
> >slavery in the US till 1865?
>
> >The claim that Eric Williams makes is not that "the abolition >of
> >navigation acts gradually undermined slavery in 1848"; his >argument
> >is as follows:

I was *not* asking what Eric Williams was thinking. I was asking your own opinion,
briefly.

You said that "The doctrine of laissez faire did not come to be put into _practice_
until later" (meaning 1848). What should we deduce from your statement with respect
to chattel slavery?

Xxxx

I said:

>>in the 18th century slaves were still the charectertic of labor force in
>Caribbean Islands when the doctrine of laissez faire was already
>developing.

Yoshis replied:

>The doctrine of laissez faire did not come to be put into _practice_
until later.  For instance, the Navigation Laws -- "the very heart
and core of the colonial system" (Eric Williams, _Capitalism &
Slavery_, p. 168) -- remained until _1848_.

--

Xxxx Xxxxx Xxxxxx
PhD Student